Documents Required

Everything you need to know about Canadian visas
To study in Canada, you will need a Canadian Study Permit (or student visa), which, depending on your home
country, will be either an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

  • Canadian Study Permit – this is not a visa, it’s a permit which allows you to study in Canada. If you hold a
    study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your
  • Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) – this is a recent requirement for visa-exempt, non-U.S. foreign nationals.
    Your eTA is valid for five years or until the passport you used to apply for the eTA expires (whichever is
    sooner), and can be used to travel to Canada many times.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) – for students who have been accepted into a designated learning institution
and are unable to apply for the eTA.

It is important that you make sure you have the correct study permit for your international studies before you
leave for Canada.
Ensure you have the right ‘Study Permit’ by getting information from the Canadian immigration authority known
as the Immigration, Refugees and Citizen Canada (IRCC). Your counsellor will help you access the latest
information and connect you with authorised migration experts.

To find out if you need an eTA or a visitor visa, and how to apply, visit the Government of Canada website.

Applying for your study permit

To apply for your study permit, you will need:

  • An acceptance letter from your education institution, and
  • A valid passport or travel document

    You must also:
  • Prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
    o Tuition Fees
    o Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada, and
    o Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • Be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada (you may have to
    provide a police certificate)
  • Be in good health (you may need to complete a medical exam)
  • Convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies.

    To prove you can financially support yourself and any accompanying family members, you may be asked to
  • Documentation of a Canadian bank account in your name, if money has been transferred to Canada
  •  Documentation of a student/education loan from a financial institution
  • Bank statements
  • A bank draft in convertible currency
  • Proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
  • A letter for the person or institution providing your funding
  • Proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are enrolled in a Canadian-funded educational program.

You can visit the Government of Canada website for more information about applying for your study permit,
including eligibility, fees and processing.